WARREN COUNTY SCHOOLS
Here are additional web sites that may provide school staff with information on how to incorporate physical activity with school curriculum.
New York State Strategic Plan for Overweight and Obesity Prevention
- The New York State Department of Health is pleased to present the first-ever New York State Strategic Plan for Overweight and Obesity Prevention. The Plan is the product of a broad collaborative effort to identify strategies to promote and increase opportunities for physical activity and healthy eating to prevent and to reduce overweight and obesity across the age span.
CDC's School Health Index (SHI)
- The SHI is a self-assessment and planning tool that schools can use to improve their health and safety policies and programs. It's easy to use and completely confidential.
Action of Healthy Kids
- A national nonprofit organization dedicated to addressing the epidemic of overweight, undernourished and sedentary youth by focusing on changes in schools.
Healthy Kids, Healthy New York After School Initiative - to Help Fight Childhood Obesity
- The guidelines are aimed at helping New York's children acquire healthy habits by incorporating nutritional food options into diets, increasing physical activity, and limiting the amount of time spent in front of a television on a daily basis.
The Center for Health and Health Care in Schools
- A nonpartisan resource center at The George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services. Their web site links educators and health professionals to the information to build school health programs, test new school-connected strategies to achieve better health outcomes for children, and promote awareness of new directions in school-based programming.
The Alliance for Healthier Generation
- A partnership between the American Heart Association and the William J. Clinton Foundation to fight childhood obesity. The Alliance provides approaches that work with schools, children, families, the food and beverage industries, healthcare insurers, and pediatricians.
New York Student Support Services - Making Connections
- Making Connection is from New York State Support Services Center and is a newsletter that discusses ways to better serve students and their needs.
School Health Education Resources
- The Center for Disease Control and Prevention offers the School Health Education Resources (SHER) to provide access to school health education offerings. Included with the SHER materials are the related National Health Education Standards and CDC's Health Education Curriculum Analysis Tool which can help schools develop and assess health education programs.
You Inspire Strong Minds, Help Inspire Strong Bodies
- Encourages teachers to "create a classroom that moves," with activities such as the Add-A-Move Memory Game, Mathematical Jumping Jacks, & other classroom-based physical activities.
National Alliance for Nutrition and Activity (NANA)
- The National Alliance for Nutrition and Activity (NANA) advocates national policies and programs to promote healthy eating and physical activity to help reduce the illnesses, disabilities, premature deaths, and costs caused by diet- and inactivity-related diseases such as heart disease, cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, and obesity.