Pistol Permit Services
On January 3, 2017, the New York State Police announced the start of its Recertification Program with the mailing of informational letters to pistol permit license holders across New York State. Approximately 370,000 letters have been mailed out to those with licenses issued before January 15, 2013. Deadline for recertification for these licenses is January 31, 2018.
The letters provide information on the recertification process including how and when to recertify. Please note:
- Recertification may be done on-line by visiting: https://troopers.ny.gov/firearms
- Recertification status for those done online may be checked on the website.
- Recertification may also be done by mailing in a paper Recertification Form.
- Recertification Forms may be downloaded from the website or are available at a local NYSP barracks.
- FAQs on Recertification can be viewed/printed on-line. This can be very helpful to you.
- Questions to NYSP: 1-855-LAWGUNS (1-855-529-4867)
The Warren County Clerk's Pistol Permit Office is pleased to assist our Warren County license holders by providing copies of blank paper Recertification Forms, print-outs of the NYSP FAQs, NYSP contact information, and information specific to your own permit. We are here to serve you: Monday-Friday from 9-1 and 2-4 (lunch hr 1-2!). We will do our best to direct you in any way that we are able to. Thank you for continued cooperation!
Pamela J. Vogel, Warren Co. Clerk
Sueanne Linehan, Deputy Co. Clerk
January 26, 2017
NYS Firearms License Request for Public Records Exemption
NYS Firearm License Request for Public Records Exemption (aka as the Opt-Out Form): pistol-opt-out.pdf - Complete and return, or send to:
Warren County Clerk's Office, Pistol Permits
1340 State Route 9
Lake George, NY 12845
We urge forms to be returned to us as soon as possible. For more information about this form, please see the Public Records Exemption - FOIL Form FAQ.
Please Note: This Opt-out applies to county pistol permit files.
Warren County Pistol Permit Applications: Eligibility
In order to apply for a Warren County Pistol Permit, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Be a full or part-time resident of Warren County for at least one year.
- Part-time residents must own property (ex: camp, vacation home) in Warren County. Verification required.
- Furnish a Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilities if you’ve had any criminal convictions.
- Complete the approved Pistol Safety Course before a permit is issued. Course certification is valid for up to 3 years. You may, however, submit your completed application before taking the course. Course information is available at the office.
- Application packet fee: $ 10.00 (cash or check payable to Warren County Clerk, no credit cards).
Application Update: Unrestricted "Carry Concealed" Licenses
Any Warren County resident who desires an unrestricted “carry” license may apply at the Warren County Clerk’s Office, provided that the holder has held their permit for at least 5 years and has had no arrests. Fee for Unrestricted License Application: $15.
Warren County Pistol Safety Program
All pistol applicants are required to attend and complete an approved Pistol Safety Course (view course schedule) before a license to carry and/or possess a handgun is issued. Course certification is valid for up to three (3) years. In the event that you do not submit your application within the three (3) year window provided, you will be required to take the course again as part of the application process.
All classes are held at the following location:
Warren County Public Safety Building (New Sheriff's Office)
1400 State Route 9
Lake George, NY 12845
All courses will start at 7:00 p.m. and will last approximately three (3) hours. All pistol permit applicants must register in the Warren County Clerk's Pistol Permit Office by paying the $50.00 fee and completing a program registration card (cash or check payable to ‘Safe T Inc’). Applicants must do this at least one week before the scheduled course date, however, the class is limited to 20 people on a "first come, first serve" basis. We recommend registering as early as possible to ensure placement.
If you register and are unable to attend, applicants must notify this office at least 24 hours before the course date. Without proper notification, fees are nonrefundable and class registration nontransferable. Failure to show for the course for which you have registered does not assure you placement in next months' class.
Photo ID is required for entrance into class.
Please Note - Due to high volume, we are unable to accommodate walk-ins unless previously authorized. Thank you.
Any questions, please feel free to contact this office at (518) 761-6516. Thank you!
|Date||Day of Week|
|January 12, 2017||Thursday|
|January 11, 2018||Thursday|